Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Little Red House Around the Corner

When I was a kid, we'd play "Little Red House Around the Corner." Little Red House Around The Corner was a game my mom invented to get my brother and I to shut the hell up. Anytime my mom would yell "Little Red House Around The Corner" at us, we'd have a contest to see how quiet we could be. As an adult looking back, I think this was pretty ingeneous of my mom, at least until we got old enough and smart-assy enough to respond to her with gales of laughter instead of silence.

My husband has worked extremely late the last two nights, which does not facilitate exercise since I've got no one to wrangle my nearly 4 year old. I work more than full-time and, frankly, I'm not willing to get up even a 1/2 hour earlier to workout. So after work it is. Problem is that I'm equally lazy (if not more so) at night than I am in the morning so if I don't exercise as soon as I walk in the door, it doesn't get done. However, since I rock, I've powered through for the past two days. Yep, two days. Impressive, aren't I?

Last night it was 30 Day Shred, accompanied by a little girl using two remote controls as hand weights who thought it was hilarious to try and climb on my back for a horsie ride while I was doing push ups.

Tonight, I restarted the C25K program (in anticipation of then starting the 1/2 marathon training program). I'd classify myself as an intermediate runner. I mean, it's been a while since I was running regularly but I did complete a 1/2 marathon last year, so it's not like I'm a slug either. So I figured it would be no big thing to hop on the treadmill tonight. It took me about 30 seconds to realize (1) the treadmill effing sucks; (2) trying to run on a treadmill while simultaneously supervising your child effing sucks; (3) trying to concentrate on breathing, form and when the hell I'm supposed to be walking and running while simultaneously trying to avoid an accidental amputation of my child's fingers because -OMG- she just can't keep her hands away from the machine effing sucks; (4) running with only one earphone in so you can keep up a conversation with your child effing sucks; (5) and having your kid talk non-stop during your entire work out ("Heymomdidyouseethatwatchthisheymomwasn'tthatcoolheymomlook!") effing sucks.

At around 28 minutes, I was gasping for breath and screaming "Little Red House Around the Corner!!!!"

It didn't work.

My husband has promised to be home by 6pm tomorrow night.

3 comments:

  1. TOO funny! I start running again this coming Monday. Kylie seems to think 6am is the best time! hahaha It will totally suck getting up that early, but I feel like if I don't, then I will let the day slip away. You seriously amaze me with ALL that you do Hilary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BAH! I'm not sure which I love more - you're amazing way of bring me into your life with your story telling, or the amount of cussing involved. Both are equally worthy of my love ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilary, I have 2 words for you... YOU ROCK!!!!

    ReplyDelete