Saturday, February 12, 2011

Race Report: Mardi Gras Masquerade 5K

I ran in Calico Racing's Mardi Gras Masquerade 5K this morning with my friend Kylie. I was hesitant because I've been sick for the past 2 weeks (diagnosed with pneumonia and a sinus infection less than 10 days ago), am still on antibiotics, and my lungs still feel like they are 40% filled with cotton. However, I'm the one that talked Kylie into registering and I couldn't very well bail at the last minute. Plus, I have done nothing exercise-wise in the past 2 weeks and am feeling very slug-like.

We hit the road at 6:30, driving out to Boulder City for the race. I woke up feeling pretty good (had the first good night's sleep in a week) and ready to go. We arrived on site and I immediately remembered why I love races. Runners are so congenial! And Calico Racing always does really fun themed runs, all of which are family and fat-girl friendly. We picked up our packets and shirts and, because it was a Mardi Gras theme, our beads and masks (next year, we're totally running in tutus too!).

It was an out and back course, with the first mile having rolling hills. I managed to make it to the one mile mark before having to stop to hack up a lung. I had my coughing fit and walked for a few minutes. Was feeling better and started up again, only to be overcome with a wicked stitch in my side. Seriously the worst I've ever expected. I know it was related to my poor breathing but it was so frustrating. Every time I started running, it would start back up. I ended up having to walk nearly a mile before I finally rid myself of it. I pushed hard the last mile and crossed the finish line at 42:14. My goal was to finish in under 45, so I was pleased!

I am feeling pretty good this afternoon - sore but in a good way. Ready to get back on the exercise bandwagon. 2 weeks is the max I'm willing to stay down for illness!

2 comments:

  1. Hilary, you are amazing! Considering everything you've been up against these past few weeks, 42:14 is a freaking amazing time! I am so excited to run a race with you ;)

    ReplyDelete