Thursday, December 9, 2010

Football Players

MaryBeth here.  I know, I know, what do football players have to do with a chubby girl running?  You see, it's like this.  For a freaking long time I would watch football games and cringe when they would show the stats of the players.  Inevitably the weight of the player would come up and I would think to myself, "Are you kidding me?  I weigh more than that football player and he's got ten inches on me!"  I wallowed in that self pity for a few moments, then went back to sipping my full calorie Dew and popping insane amounts of whatever chip - tortilla or chocolate - I had in my house.

Smack dab in the middle of this last football season my skinny runner sister called and asked if I would run a 5k with her at Thanksgiving and I laughed out loud as I continued popping the cookies in my mouth and then I realized she was serious.  All I could think was, "I'm a chub.  Chubs don't run."  Then I started thinking, "Screw the chub.  I'm gonna run for the fatty in everyone," and so it began.

I started the Couch to 5K program and finished just five days before Thanksgiving and ran, well slowly jogged is a better description, that whole damned thing and it took me over 45 minutes, but I did it.  My next 5k is a week from Saturday, and three days after that I start a program called Bridge to 10K to get me ready for six whole miles.

If I lose weight during this whole event, fan-freaking-tastic.  If not, I'll continue to weigh about as much as a football player and realize if those fatties can run, so can I.

Welcome to my journey.

1 comment: